My husband loves brack so when I changed to a vegan diet this was one of the first recipes I worked on creating. It produces a light and fluffy brack every time.
- 500g mixed fruit (the brack pictured has cranberries, mixed citrus peel, figs, raisins and dates) soaked in half cup black tea (made with two bags)
- 200ml plant milk
- 100g margarine
- 150g brown sugar
- 275g flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Soak fruit in strong black tea for at least one hour, stirring occasionally
- Cream together margarine and sugar
- Add flour, baking soda, spices and plant milk and mix till just combined then add fruit and mix a few times.
- Pour into a greased and lined tin (I use whichever size is handy so keen followers will notice that my cake slice thickness does vary between bakes) and bake at 170 for 45 min or until done.