Lemon Ginger Torte
Fire-y ginger cushioned with sweet lemon – my vegan torte recipe is a flavour bomb.
Ingredients for cake:
- 200g dairy free margarine
- 400g dark brown sugar
- 300ml plant milk
- 450g plain flour
- 7 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 2 portion of egg substitute (I used 2 tsp of flax flour and 2tsp of chia seed mixed with 9tsp of water)
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 250g dairy free margarine
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- zest of two lemons – use 2 tbsp for the buttercream and reserve the rest)
- 600g icing sugar
- Prepare your egg substitute and let sit for 5 mins
- Measure sugar and marg in a small saucepan and heat until ingredients are melted. Leave to cool until lukewarm then add plant milk and egg substitute and stir thoroughly.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix with a hand whisk a few times
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry and mix gently until smooth
- Pour into a greased and lined 23cm springform tin and bake at 140 (fan) or 150 regular oven for 1 hour and 15 mins or until a knife inserted into the middle comes away clean.
- Once completely cooled, slice your cake into 1 inch layers
- Build your cake with lemon butter cream sandwiched between layers and pipe the remainder on top. Sprinkle with leftover lemon zest to finish.