Duffins with orange curd
Duffins are donuts baked in a muffin tin and one of the most delicious desserts ever. The only things wrong with them is that they are not low calorie and they are very more-ish, so consider yourself duly warned.
- 250 – 270 mls plant milk
- 3 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 6 tbsp hot water
- 20g vegan marg
- 170ml sunflower oil
- 200g sugar
- 400g sr flour (or use plain with 1 ½ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp salt)
- 1tsp allspice
Ingredients for orange curd:
- 125g caster sugar
- 2tbsp corn flour
3 oranges juiced and zested (add enough water to bring liquid up to 220ml)
- 50g sugar
- 50g melted vegan marg
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- In a small cup mix plant milk and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- mix flax seeds and hot water until slightly thickened and gooey.
- In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, cream together marg and sugar. Add in flax seed/water mixture and stir until smooth. Add in dry ingredients and stir to fully combine. Add plant milk mix. Mix until fully combined and batter is smooth. You should have a soft drop consistency – this is when you lift up your spoon and the batter flops off the spoon easily add a little more milk if needed.
- Grease muffin cups and dust with flour or line with paper muffin liners. Spoon batter into muffin cups – 2/3 full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until cocktail stick comes out clean.
- While duffins are baking make your orange curd by mixing the corn flour with the sugar in a saucepan then add the orange juice, zest and water and cook over med heat until curd thickens. It will continue to thicken as it cools so set aside to cool or pop in the freezer for 10 mins if you want to hurry the process up.
- When duffins are done baking, cool slightly in pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once the duffins have fully cooled, pipe the curd into the centre using a piping bag and long tip, then dip the tops of the duffins in the melted marg and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.