Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Biscuits
I’ve spent quite a long time trying (and failing) to make a vegan version of my mom’s buttermilk biscuits that are as floofaaaay and tasty as hers. However, I’m satisfied that I’ve finally managed it with this recipe.
- 76g vegan margarine (I use Pure)
- 230g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 small lemon (for juice and zest)
- 100ml plant milk (I used soya)
- 50g dried blueberries
- Divide your vegan margarine into small pieces and place in freezer for 10 mins.
- While you are waiting for your margarine to chill – zest your lemon and then squeeze the lemon.
- Combine 25ml of the juice with the plant milk to make your buttermilk.
- Measure your dry ingredients and give it a whisk to combine well then add your vegan margarine.
- With cold hands mix the flower and margarine together until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add your zest and blueberries along with the milk and mix until just combined into a slightly sticky dough.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and press down into a 2.5cm thickness. Cut out into rounds using a glass dipped in flour or keep it as a circle but divide into wedges.
- Brush tops with a bit of plant milk.
- Bake at 220 degrees C for 12 – 15 mins.