“Doing” a Doctorate – week 37
Really struggling this week, particularly with the question of why I am putting myself through the challenges of this doctorate! Really I am a person who should have done their doctorate full-time rather than trying to fit it in during my non-working time (previously known as spare time and holidays). I know I say each assignment is really hard, but it’s true, the struggle is real (and not just histrionics).
I had a (rather lengthy) medical appointment this week and the specialist nurse was telling me how much she had enjoyed writing the lit review for her Masters because she found it so easy to write about other people’s work. I want to graft a piece of her brain on to mine!
Week 37 in review: read week 36 by clicking here
Publishable doctorate words written – NET article minor amendments made and resubmitted. FTC18 article is finished. One poster about CILVRS pilot drafted and ready for review by conference committee. Working on draft of second CILVRS article.
Doctorate assignment words written – 972
Cups of tea drunk – eleventymillion, let’s be honest, this number is never going to change….I think I’m an addict
Miles run – Errrr none. No, really. Too late and too tired to run after finishing work.
Kilometers swam – None, see above. I do appear to have signed up to swim 5k in the swimathon next year though. I do worry about my sanity sometimes….
Miles cycled – Zero ( can’t see well enough to cycle safely)
Cakes baked – 24 mini fuzzy peach vegan cupcakes (see photo at end of post).
Crafting done- Knitting on pause during this hot weather
Books read for pleasure – Truth Sister, The Truth and Lies of Ella Black (see 2018 reading page for link to book reviews)
Books read for doctorate – None this week
Movies / videos watched for doctorate – None this week
Articles read for doctorate – Mediating Media Studies, Interactive Virtual Archaeology, 3D Virtual Worlds and Distance Learning, Computer-Based Technology and Student Engagement, VR as a Tool in Education
Blogs read for doctorate –Virtual World Watch, British Library Labs, Ariadne, Violet,
Research undertaken – None this week
Meetings with doctorate supervisors – none (not in a place where I have anything to show)
Meetings with ALN / LD support – Booked in dates for submission of future assignment drafts
Average level of guilt felt when trying to squeeze doctorate days in work diary – No guilt felt as I didn’t even try to work this bit of magic
Overall average stress level – moderate
Average success rate – acceptable
Plan for next week:
- Wait for eye op appointment to arrive (waiting list breach date was June 15th – now needs to be before 1st Oct or after 20th Nov as can’t fly for 4 weeks after surgery and have long haul flight to FTC18 conference)
- Wait for husband’s referral date to new specialist to find out extent of damage caused by illness number two (he’s received a letter informing him there are currently NO appointments!)
- Continue knitting cannula arms sleeves for dementia patients
- Make more progress on assignment three so I can complete final draft early due to impending massive increase in workload when i should be writing the assignment
- Work on draft second CILVRS article
- Finish first draft of assignment three
- Read more for fun
- Allow myself to get distracted by all things shiny and appreciate that for the future creativity and benefit it may add to my doctorate