“Doing” a Doctorate – week 19
Found a perfect pictorial example of what my week has been like. Or perhaps this is my attempt at trying out photo elicitation (What?! Shaddap! I’m trying to learn how to speak like an actual doctoral student). Life, you’ve got to laugh in the very face of it….only not for too long or too loudly when on your own in a public place or people get scared!
How’s life going?
— 4:06 (@ReezaySA) March 12, 2018
Week 19: read week 18 by clicking here
Publishable doctorate words written – Errrr, still waiting to hear back from NET about the article I submitted. No news is good news, right?
Doctorate assignment words written – 380 (of 5000) on assignment no 2 (Yes, I know….must try harder to find more writing time, but first I need to stop working all of the hours)
Cups of tea drunk – eleventymillion, now with added cups of coffee. Going to become a caffeine junkie at this rate.
Miles run – ZERO (and no, I don’t want to talk about it. SULK!)
Miles swam – 0.9 (it may not seem much but it sure feels a long way!)
Miles cycled – 1 hour of low resistance, high rev spinning (my knee doesn’t appreciate resistance – come to think of it, neither do I!) I didn’t measure the mileage but I’m guessing at 15+ miles
Cakes baked – 75 vegan cupcakes in various flavours for my students and colleagues (yes, I am a feeder) photos at bottom of post See my recipe section for various recipes.
Crafting done – working on knitting some very basic (because eyesight is rubbish now) squares for a charity blanket
Books read for pleasure – The Taste of Blue Light, The Perfect Girlfriend, Everything is Lies (see 2018 reading page for link to book reviews)
Books read for doctorate – None actually, lalalalalaaaaa
Movies watched for doctorate –
Articles read for doctorate – Higher Education in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
Blogs read for doctorate – Writing and wellbeing
Research undertaken – Will begin second batch of research with new cohort in March 2018
Meetings with doctorate supervisors – none (not in a place where I have anything to show)
Meetings with ALN / LD support – none – getting a bit desperate now
Average level of guilt felt when trying to squeeze doctorate days in work diary – Impossible
Overall average stress level – Still extreme
Average success rate – Minimal
Plan for next week:
- Complete surveys ready for Auz cohorts
- Complete recruitment of Auz cohorts
- Enrol new UK and Auz cohorts onto pilot VRLE
- Book tutorial with unit lead
- Wait for eye op appointment to arrive (have pre-op date but no op date yet? WEIRD)
- Wait for husband’s referral date to new specialist to find out extent of damage caused by illness number two (he’s received a letter informing him there are currently NO appointments!)
- Bake more
- Play with grandson as much as possible
- Read more for fun (clearly achieved this in past 7 days)
- Allow myself to get distracted by all things shiny and appreciate that for the future creativity and benefit it may add to my doctorate