Poppyseed and pomegranate cake
This cake is light, floofaaaay and vegan! So you can triply enjoy being an omnomnomivore.
- 225g dairy free margarine
- 300g sugar
- 435g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 400ml plantbased milk mixed with 2 tsp vinegar. Set aside five minutes to curdle.
- 1 small carrot finely grated
- Zest of two oranges
- 60ml orange juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 25g coconut oil (melted)
- 60g poppy seeds
For the Glaze:
- 40ml pomegranate juice
- 150g confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar)
- top with seeds from the pomegranate you got the juice out of
To make the cake:
- Cream together the sugar and dairy free margarine in a stand mixer or hand mixer fitted with a whisk, until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl a couple of times during the mixing.
- Mix the orange juice, zest, vanilla extract, coconut oil, carrot and plant based milk.
- Sift into a bowl the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
- Add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture in three batches, alternating with the plant based milk mixture. Mix for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Add the poppy seeds and mix with a spatula to disperse them evenly through the batter.
- Oil and line the bottom of the cak epns or oil and flour the bundt tin. Pour the cake batter in and bake in a preheated 175 -degree oven for 1 hour in a cake pan or 45 minutes in a bundt tin…or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out dry.
To make the glaze:
- Mix the pomegranate juice and sugar.
- Pour the thick glaze on and spread from middle outwards to the edges in circles, then top with the pomegranate seeds.