A week today my family will be celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving (a day early but Monday isn’t a holiday here in England). We will be eating loads of different seasonal foods and condiments. The picture below is the plum jam I have made as one of the condiments. Follow my simple recipe below to make this jam which is delicious with meat as well as on toast, ice cream or pancakes:
- Ingredients – 2kg plums, 1kg of jam sugar
- Equipment – large pan, wooden spoon, ladle, tongs, sterilised jars and lids
- Wash and freeze 2kg of windfall plums.
- On the day you wish to make your jam, place the plums in warm water until soft then squeeze plum fruit out of the skin and peel it away from stone.
- Discard stone and peel, and place fruit and juice in a large pan.
- Bring contents of pot to boil then add 1k of jam sugar.
- Once setting point is reached (this is when a cooled daub of jam on a plate wrinkles when touched) ladle into sterilised jars, seal and using the tongs place jars in deep pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.