Mince Pie Cake
When I asked my husband what kind of birthday cake he wanted me to bake him this year, he said: “mince pie”! So I baked him a mincemeat flavoured cake topped with mini mince pies. This is best made a day in advance but can be made on the day if time is tight.
- 175g dairy free margarine
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 3 tsp flax flour mixed with 6 tsp water (prepare this 10 mins in advance of use)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 300g vegan mincemeat
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Line 3 20 x 1cm cake tins and preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan. Cream together the marg and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix the flax through the mincemeat then add to sugar mix before folding in the dry ingredients.
- Ladle the mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely before icing and decorating.
While the cake is baking and cooling make your mini mince pies.
Mince pie ingredients:
- 100g dairy free margarine
- pinch salt
- 155g plain flour
- 45ml water
- Cut cold marg into flour and salt until it resembles crumbs
- add water and combine until a pastry dough ball forms
- roll out to 0.5cm on a lightly floured surface
- Stamp our rounds and smaller shaped toppers
- Pre-bake the rounds in the mini muffin tin for 10 mins at 190 degrees
- Remove from oven and add in a scant teaspoon of mincemeat
- Place shaped topper of pastry in middle of pie
- Bake in oven for another 10 mins
- Remove and leave to cool in muffin tin
If you have any mincemeat remaining then add this in a saucepan with a glut of vegan brandy and cook at low temp until it has reduced to a thick paste.
Assembling the cake:
- Sandwich buttercream or vanilla frosting and dabs of the mincemeat paste between the cake layers leaving the top of the cake free.
- Rough frost the outside and top layer of the cake with a vanilla or buttercream frosting.
- Cover in fondant icing.
- Cover the top in mini mince pies using a dab of frosting under each to make sure they stick to the fondant icing.
- Ideally cool in fridge overnight so the frosting hardens under the mince pies.