Family friendly ‘free from’ mince pies
This is my favourite mince pie crust recipe because the pastry doesn’t need to be rolled out and the children can be in charge of making perfect mince pies from start to finish. This will make 16 – 18 pies.
- 225g butter substitute (best used when very cold, so I pop mine in the freezer for 10 mins)
- 350g plain gluten free flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 410g jar of nut, dairy and gluten free mincemeat
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 degrees if fan assisted.
- Rub the cold butter substitute into the flour then add the cinnamon, salt and sugar. Mix well then scrunch with hands until you have formed a ball of firm dough.
- Put a small ball of dough in each hole of your cupcake tin and then press with fingers until the sides and bottom have a layer of the pastry.
- Spoon mincemeat into the uncooked pie shells until it is level with the top edge of your pastry.
- Take a smaller ball than you used for the base and press into a flat circle between your palms / fingers until large enough to cover the top of your mincemeat. There is no need to seal the edges – let the mincemeat do that for you as it cooks.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins before removing from baking tin.