Dairy Free Salted Caramel Pretzels
- 250g pretzels, broken into smaller pieces (I used a combination of stick shaped pretzels and the traditional pretzel shaped ones simply because that’s what I had in the cupboard)
- 214g butter substitute (I used Vitalite)
- 172g packed light brown sugar
- 200g dark chocolate (grated or cut into very small chunks)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Line a 28 x 43 cm rimmed baking sheet with foil or greaseproof paper. Cover the bottom of the pan with the broken pretzels. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter and brown sugar. When the mixture starts to gently simmer and bubble, let it cook for 3 minutes without stirring.
- Immediately pour the hot caramel mixture over the pretzels in a back and forth motion to cover most of the pretzels (a few empty/dry spots are ok as the caramel will fuse together during baking).
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place the pan on a cooling rack. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate evenly over the top of the hot caramel and pretzels. Let the chocolate sit for 2-3 minutes until they melt or pop back into the warm (but turned off) oven for a couple of minutes.
- Let the caramel pretzels cool completely at room temperature then refrigerate if needed to help the chocolate set. Break into pieces and try not to eat the whole batch at once.