Coconut cream pie (dairy, gluten and lactose free)
- 80g flaked coconut
- 550ml of unsweetened coconut milk
- 160g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (9inch) pie shell (bake this before you make the pie filling)
- Spread coconut on baking sheet and toast it in the oven for about 5 mins until golden brown. Watch it carefully and stir a few times so it doesn’t burn.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sugar, flour and salt. Mix well and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 2/3 of the toasted coconut and vanilla extract.
- Pour filling into the baked pie shell and chill until firm (about 2-4 hours)
- Top with the leftover toasted coconut.