These smoked carrot dogs are ideal for BBQ season -they’re SO tasty. Never thought I would say that about carrots pretending to be meat. I kind of hate this whole lets not eat meat but make veg taste like meat trend, I mean what’s the point? But, I am glad I worked out a recipe for these because I loved the flavour of hot dogs in my omni days. Guess that makes me a bit of a hypocrite but other than these and the smoked carrot (which looks like lox), my veg meals do look and taste like veg.
There’s loads of recipes around but I think mine is the best, even our omni teen loves the way they taste!
- 10 hot dog length carrots
- 120ml liquid amnios (or soya sauce),
- 120ml cider vinegar,
- 4tbsp gherkin juice,
- 4tbsp maple syrup,
- 2tbsp liquid smoke,
- 2tsp dijon,
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- peel carrots,
- boil for 20 mins then drain and cool in cold water.
- While carrots are cooling make the marinade
- Pour mixture in ziplock bag,
- Add carrots and marinade for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Then BBQ until tender or oven bake in marinade for 45 mins at 180c.