Candied orange peel in eight simple steps
This is an easy to make and waste free recipe.
4 large oranges
540g caster sugar
- Cut the oranges into 4 wedges. Then remove the peel from each wedge.
- Cut them into chunks or long strands… whatever you prefer. Place them over a stove top in a pot pour about 1 inch of water covering them and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- While waiting for the water to boil, squeeze the orange flesh and strain juice off the pulp and set aside. Freeze the leftover peel to add to cake recipes at a later date.
- When the water starts to boil, remove the pot from the heat, strain the orange peels, repeat the boiling and draining process and then and set aside.
- In the pot, add water to the orange juice you have squeezed and add in water until you have 2 cups liquid and 2 cups sugar. Over a low heat, stir until sugar and water are combined, then add the orange peels back in.
- Boil the mixture for about 30 – 45 minutes over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until there are large opaque bubbles and the orange zest is turning translucent. Strain and then transfer to a heat proof bowl.
- Pour over 180g sugar mix the peels in the sugar so they are completely covered.
- Place on a baking rack and place in a 50 degree oven for an hour to dry them out. Make sure to prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon to allow the moisture to escape.