“Doing” a Doctorate – week 34
I was very impressed with myself this week because I found a work day with nothing vital booked in my diary and set it aside to take some time owning back.
I am less impressed with with the fact that I then used this day at home to…work!
However, I am pleased I did work because a poster design that I had blocked off one day of work to do has been filled with student tutorials instead, and the poster design has actually taken me two days to complete. No idea when I’ll ever be able to take that time back though.
Best stop blogging now and get on with working on assignment number three. Weekend? What weekend?
Week 34 in review: read week 33 by clicking here
Publishable doctorate words written – NET article submission feedback still pending. FTC18 article is finished (I hope). One poster about CILVRS pilot drafted and nearly ready for review by conference committee.
Doctorate assignment words written – *shifty eyes*
Cups of tea drunk – eleventymillion, let’s be honest, this number is never going to change….I think I’m an addict
Miles run – 8M
Kilometers swam – 1.5K
Miles cycled – Zero ( can’t see well enough to cycle safely)
Cakes baked – None actually! Who am I?
Crafting done- Knitting on pause during this hot weather
Books read for pleasure – A Dark So Deadly (see 2018 reading page for link to book reviews)
Books read for doctorate – Doing a Literature Review in Health and Social Care, Doing Your Literature Review – Traditional and Systematic Techniques
Movies / videos watched for doctorate –
Articles read for doctorate – A Guide to Writing the Dissertation Literature Review,
Blogs read for doctorate –Demonstrating criticality in the literature review, To Be of Use: The Work of Reviewing,
Research undertaken – None this week
Meetings with doctorate supervisors – none (not in a place where I have anything to show)
Meetings with ALN / LD support – Booked in dates for submission of future assignment drafts
Average level of guilt felt when trying to squeeze doctorate days in work diary – No guilt felt as I didn’t even try to work this bit of magic
Overall average stress level – moderate
Average success rate – acceptable
Plan for next week:
- Wait for eye op appointment to arrive (waiting list breach date was June 15th – now needs to be before 1st Oct or after 20th Nov as can’t fly for 4 weeks after surgery and have long haul flight to FTC18 conference)
- Wait for husband’s referral date to new specialist to find out extent of damage caused by illness number two (he’s received a letter informing him there are currently NO appointments!)
- Continue knitting cannula arms sleeves for dementia patients
- Make more progress on assignment three so I can complete final draft early due to impending massive increase in workload when i should be writing the assignment
- Draft second CILVRS article
- Read more for fun
- Allow myself to get distracted by all things shiny and appreciate that for the future creativity and benefit it may add to my doctorate